Oh Martha, you make my tummy so happy. I found these delicious squares in a recent issue of Martha Stewart Living. I knew I had to make them for something. So when my hubby asked me to make something for a work party I thought about these right away. They were so moist and yummy! There are a few added steps to these, but it's honestly really worth it. Also, just for Lindsay, "in these economic times", they are really inexpensive to make and I actually had all the ingredients on hand. Ok here it goes:
2 cups plus 2 tbsp flour
3/4 unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
10 oz (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened....I never said it was healthy!
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Line dish with parchment, leaving a 2-inch overhang on both long sides, then spray parchment.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Cream butter and granulated sugar with a mixer until smooth. Add 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla, and beat until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture. Increase speed to medium; beat until incorporated.
3. Preheat oven to 325. Reserve 1 cup of dough; cover, and refrigerate. Press remaining dough into bottom of prepared dish. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Bake until base is set and edges are puffed, about 25 minutes. Let cool in dish on a wire rack.
4. Mix cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, remaining egg, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in medium bowl. Spread over cooled base; crumble reserved dough on top.
5. Bake until filling is set, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in dish on wire rack, then lift out using overhang. Cut into 24 squares. Squares will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
Eat or give to someone you love!!
Have a great day!!