Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Mexicali Casserole

I made this yummy and easy casserole last night that I thought I'd share.  I usually make something more elaborate for the hubby and I because I love to cook, but this was SO easy and quick. It also has a somewhat creamy texture without adding any cream because of the rice. Sometimes when I'm exhausted after a long day working I like to make excuses about why we should just go out to eat.  Other times I'm downright lazy.  This is perfect for those wouldratherdoanythingbutcook days. 

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey breast
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
3/4 cup frozen corn
1 garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can (16 oz) black beans, rinsed 
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup water
2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice (this is where the beauty lies)
1/3 cup sliced black olives (I just used a little can)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
In a large skillet, coated w/ spray, cook the turkey, onions, green pepper, and garlic over medium heat until meat is cooked through and veggies are tender. Sprinkle with chili powder and salt.  Stir in the beans, tomatoes, water, rice, and olives. 

Transfer to a 2 1/2 quart baking dish (I used a 9x13) coated w/ spray.  Cover and bake at 375 for 50-55 minutes.  Uncover and sprinkle w/ cheese.  Bake 5 additional minutes until cheese is melted.

I served it with a little salsa, sour cream, and avocado.  The hubby ate it.  Good enough for me.

3 comments:

  1. This looks great - lots of good flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks great!! I can't wait to try it. So great to be able to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like it's just delicious. And our teen can make it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much commenting! It really brightens my day!